Plumes of thick, black smoke billowed from the Battery Maritime Building at 10 South Avenue in Lower Manhattan on Saturday afternoon after a hearth began in an air-con unit on the constructing’s roof.
The FDNY remains to be working to find out what precipitated the air-con unit to go up in flames. The hearth, which broke out shortly earlier than 4 p.m., had reportedly unfold into a close-by heavy equipment room. It was introduced underneath management lower than an hour later.
Along with ferries that shuttle guests to Governors Island, the constructing is house to Casa Cipriani, a non-public lodge and membership membership.
The blaze didn’t consequence in any accidents however precipitated delays in ferry service between Lower Manhattan and Governors Island. Though passenger-only ferry service has since resumed, ferry passengers ought to nonetheless count on residual delays.
The Governors Island Ferry Ready Room stays closed till additional discover.
This can be a growing story.