Flamingo, the pink pigeon who was rescued from Madison Sq. Park, died in a single day.
Rescuers consider his dying was a response to hair dye, which they think was the reason for his pink hue.
The Wild Chicken Fund, which had been caring for Flamingo, introduced its dying in a Twitter post on Tuesday:
“We are deeply sad to report that Flamingo, our sweet pink pigeon, has passed away,” the group mentioned. “Despite our best efforts to reduce the fumes coming off the dye, while keeping him calm and stable, he died in the night. We believe his death was caused by inhaling the toxins.”
Rita McMahon, the director of the Wild Chicken Fund, informed Gothamist final week that Flamingo probably ingested the dye’s chemical compounds by means of preening, which birds spend a couple of third of their day doing. She mentioned the chook nonetheless smelled of fragrance, days after it had been rescued.
McMahon mentioned her group didn’t know who coloured the chook pink, or why, however they believed Flamingo had been used as a prop in a gender reveal occasion.
Flamingo was rescued final week by Carlos Rodriguez, an expert canine walker who noticed the pigeon in Madison Sq. Park.
Since then, the pigeon had been in “delicate critical” situation, vomiting repeatedly.
“Thank you to everyone for the expressions of goodwill and the many helpful suggestions,” the Wild Chicken fund wrote on Twitter. “Flamingo’s story sparked a lot of emotion and generated interest from around the world. We hope the tale of his too-short life will help prevent more acts of careless cruelty.”