What to Know
- After being cancelled final 12 months, the New York Metropolis Marathon is again — with some modifications.
- Whereas the continued pandemic canceled final 12 months’s marathon, this time round, COVID-19 security protocols will take heart stage.
- The primary NYC Marathon was held in 1970 with simply 127 runners. In 2019, it ballooned to greater than 50,000 runners. This 12 months’s race is scaled again — to about 30,000 runners.
After being cancelled final 12 months, the New York Metropolis Marathon is again — with some modifications.
Final minute preps for this 12 months’s marathon, which can kick off Sunday at 8:30 a.m., is producing a buzz within the Large Apple.
New Yorkers and vacationers are grateful to have a metropolis custom again in particular person after taking a pause final 12 months due to the pandemic.
“I have a lot of friends who are running in it and they’re excited,” Jack Mara, an Higher West Aspect resident, mentioned.
“This year’s marathon will show the toughness of New York, the grit of New York, the determination of New York,” Ted Metellus, TCS NYC Marathon race director, mentioned.
Whereas the continued pandemic canceled final 12 months’s marathon, this time round, COVID-19 security protocols for runners embody:
- Proof of vaccination or destructive COVID-19 take a look at inside 48 hours of race day;
- Face coverings in the beginning and within the post-finish space;
- Extra begin waves to house aside the runners;
- Hand sanitizing stations;
- This 12 months, runners might be allowed to put on gasoline and hydration belts to keep away from crowding at water stations;
- Moreover, runners could have to make an appointment to choose up their race supplies so as to guarantee social distancing.
Some New Yorkers are nonetheless cautious of holding a gaggle occasion in the course of a pandemic.
“[I’m] a little bit [concerned about safety]. A little. But hopefully everything will be okay,” Connie, an Higher East Aspect resident, mentioned.
Others really feel secure understanding the occasion is outdoor.
“I think being outside, most of the time they’re spread somewhat apart at least- so I think it’s great,” Barbara Von Zerneck, an Higher West Aspect resident, mentioned.
The primary NYC Marathon was held in 1970 with simply 127 runners. In 2019, it ballooned to greater than 50,000 runners. This 12 months’s race is scaled again — to about 30,000 runners.
The NYPD says there aren’t any credible threats to the race, however there might be many layers of safety from the blocker vehicles on the perimeter, of which there are lots of, to the NYPD’s Bomb Squad and Radiation Detectors Response groups, Intelligence Bureau, and Counterterrorism, in accordance to NYPD’s Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence John Miller.
“We’re going to have thousands and thousands of officers out there making sure the runners and the spectators are safe,” NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea.
“It’s a wonderful event,” Von Zerneck mentioned. “New York loves it. A great event. Very glad to see it back.”
“I think it’s just amazing. I’m from Italy, actually, and I’m a student here and it’s so exciting. The whole city is like super excited, just can’t wait to see it,” Maria Giovanna, of Midtown Manhattan, mentioned.